Happy August! I have officially been funemployed for one month. I am at the stage where I feel self-conscious telling people, but also think maybe I should just start chasing freelance work because not going to an office is amazing right now. Perhaps there are more posts in the future of this fine blog.
- Working Identity by Herminia Ibarra. She recommends “crafting” a career over trying to plan and execute. Would you guys do a career-oriented book club if I started one?
- Get Bullish – “Aggressive Lady Advice” are perhaps my three favorite words ever put together. Someone wonderful linked me to her great essay on Social Class in the Office, which led me to a great book about social class in the workplace, which led me to a lot of self-righteous and indignant texts with my siblings. Seriously, would you guys do a career book club? What about a networking group for class-mobile young professionals?
- Profile of the USA Women’s Olympic 7s squad – I’m not crying, you’re crying!
- Still working through the DNC speeches because they give me all the feels.
- Bojack Horseman season 3. Watch it and feel all the feels. I fear I might be Diane and my boyfriend might be Mr. Peanutbutter, but there are far worse characters to identify with on that show.
- Build a professional wardrobe: I wore some of the clothes I bought earlier this month to events. I tried to go shopping at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale. Here’s the thing: I think TopShop is making fun of me but I still want to be cool enough to dress like a slightly toned-down Ilana from Broad City.
- See some sort of art every week: At first I thought I had nothing to write here, but then I checked my calendar. July 14th, I saw Weiner with my former colleague. The 18th, I saw Ghostbusters. The 20th, the boyfriend and I saw an Upright Citizens Brigade show at Woolly Mammoth, and the 21st I volunteered at the Fringe Festival. Last week I saw E.T. at NoMa Summer Screen.
- Make, edit, and publish 4 videos: I have ideas.
- Take care of my belongings and our ridiculously messy home: I figured out which washing machine in the laundry room doesn’t leave soap residue on all of my clothes. Victory! I also did the dishes on a regular basis. Double Victory!
- Weekly meetings with responsible adults: I have reached the phase where I don’t just hang out with my friends and call it networking. I still hang out with my friends, but I also met with at least one stranger!
- Sew ½ of fabric stash: I bought some patterns, which feels like moving in the wrong direction. My brother-in-law and I are talking about taking a sewing class at a new store in Alexandria. When I’m a better sewist, I will be able to justify buying their beautiful fabrics.
- Bike from Pittsburgh to DC: NO UPDATE
- Make enough money: I made like $700 in July. If your friends need a dogsitter, writer, or hired hand, I will work for money or free art.